It’s the end of an era. On January
28th, 2019, I received the news I had been dreading for some time.
I’ve been downsized. After 20 years at AT&T, I have been let go. My last
day on the payroll is March 29th, just five years shy of being fully
vested in my Pension plan. What a gut punch! But, there is a way to handle this
news, and a way not to handle it. Let me explain.
Some of you may remember the days
of the party line. You know, a phone line that was shared with a neighbor? You
would pick up the phone and say “Hello, party” to make sure it wasn’t in use
already before making a call. Now that’s going back quite a few years, but,
trust me, it was a thing. It even pre-dates ME. Boy, have times changed over
the years. Technology has evolved and we now have a handheld PC in our pocket.
These devices run on microwaves and spectrum, instead of wires. As such, the
need for copper wiring for telecommunications has all but completely vanished.
Fiber optic cabling is still needed to furnish the infrastructure that runs the
cell towers and to provide high speed data circuits to homes and businesses,
but it requires much less maintenance. And the more of it we have put in the
ground over the years, the less of it we need to place for the future. Which
leads me to my real point.
AT&T, once the largest
telecommunications company on the planet, has shifted their primary focus.
After purchasing Time-Warner last year, they have positioned themselves in the
Entertainment and Advertising business. And, as you might expect, they have
decided to invest much less Capital in telephony and data, in order to
concentrate on the new shiny object, Time Warner. Less Capital investment, less
cable, less engineering, and ultimately less head count required.
You go through a lot of different emotions
when something like this happens. At first, I was nonchalant about it. I very
calmly accepted the news and the package full of “assistance” paperwork and
went on about the rest of my day. Then came the anger and resentment. I started
out 20 years ago as a cable splicing technician, working outside in the hottest
summer sun, climbing poles in sub-zero temperatures in the coldest of winters.
I also have many scars from various cuts and bruises over the years. Eventually
I worked my way up to management and became a crew foreman and ultimately a
design engineer. I put in the work, excelled at my job, and was rewarded for my
efforts. Now, I think to myself…… “Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears, and
this is the thanks I get? A swift kick in the pant seat?” After a couple of
days, comes the panic, or as I like to call it, the “what the holy hell am I
supposed to do now?” phase. Eventually, acceptance and reality kick in and you
begin to weigh your options. How does one start over at 47, after spending
twenty years building a reputation, a work ethic and a very specific skill set?
Then you look at what you stand to lose in terms of your long-anticipated
pension and retirement benefits. The reality hits you like a cold, howling wind
in a snowstorm. This is where you have a choice to make. You get to choose how
you respond. And how you respond in the face of adversity will display your
true character.
Many others in my current situation
have basically shut down. A few haven’t even been in the office at all since
they got the news, leaving others to pick up their slack. And who can blame
them? One person actually joked out loud about shooting up the place. Needless
to say, that individual won’t be setting foot on company property anymore.
Well, that’s one way to play it, I suppose. But, I think it best to handle this
a little differently than the others. One of my colleagues approached me at my
desk the other day and asked me why I was still hammering away at a design I
was working on. He was perplexed that I was even in the office, let alone,
still doing my job. But, the way I see it, I’m still collecting a paycheck. And
as long as I am, I have an obligation to earn that paycheck by continuing to do
my job to the best of my ability. So again, as is always the case in life, it’s
all about choices. And I choose to do the right thing. But I also had to choose
an appropriate emotional response. I chose prayer and reflection. And through
this, I have been able to see how truly blessed I have been over the last 20
years. As difficult as it is in this moment, this company kept me working
steadily for twenty years, putting a roof over our heads, food on the table,
clothing and comfort, education for my children, vacations……the list goes on
and on. It gave me the ability to provide for my family abundantly. It gave us
security. For these things, I am truly blessed. I was also reminded of the
Lord’s promise to us in the book of Matthew 6:25-34, one of my all-time
favorite passages…
25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink; or about
your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body
more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or
store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much
more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your
life[5]? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the
flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which
is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more
clothe you-you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What
shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your
heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all
these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will
worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
The reality of it all is daunting,
yes. After all, I had it all planned out. I was going to retire at 57, then
move to Florida and work part time to supplement my retirement income. We would
be able to enjoy retirement. We would be able to travel. We would be able to
have a place close to Disney World for our future grandchildren to come and
visit. I really had it planned well. The problem is, those were MY plans. God
had other plans. While I still have no idea how this will ultimately play out,
I am blessed to have the comfort of knowing that God’s plan for my life is
perfect. So, it is now my job to continue to try to live, work and act
according to His will, to be faithful and thankful for the many blessings we
have received over the years. The rest will take care of itself. It may not be
easy. There may be a tough lesson to be learned. It may require us to
re-evaluate our priorities and downsize our lifestyle. Maybe not. Maybe there is
yet another incredible blessing coming that we just don’t have the knowledge
of, yet.
Here is what I DO know. Wherever
this takes us. And whatever it costs us, the price is nothing compared to the
price He paid on the cross for us. His promises are written in His blood. They
are real. They are ALWAYS kept. Our plans are not His plans. Our plans are fallible.
His plans are perfect. Please pray for those affected, who don’t know the Grace
of God. I can’t imagine going through something like this with an empty,
hopeless heart. Please pray for Richelle and I as we take a new path to His
will. Don’t pray for a job or money or that we will be financially stable and
secure. Instead, please pray that the Lord will light the path and that He will
make it clear to us which path we are to take in order to remain in His perfect
will. Regardless, the cost, this is the way I am to respond to this adversity.
It is the way we should all respond.
So, “Goodbye, Party” It’s been a
good run. Now let’s see what awesome opportunities God will provide, next!
Thanks for reading,
Drew
Drew - you are sooo wise! I am proud to call you brother. God will never let us down and I'm sure he has something even better in store for you. I will absolutely pray the pray you have asked. Love you, Patti
ReplyDeleteThis is integrity in the raw.
ReplyDeleteI would expect no less than a fantastic view and professional attitude from you Drew. You are a man to be respected, admired and even slightly jealous of. You have a fantastic family and a Godly spirit about you that can only get better for you. I’m know God has a plan for you and I will pray for you all. If I can help in any fashion just give me a call sir.
ReplyDeleteThis is how we Bitters roll, bro... integrity in everything... trusting in and fully reliant on God... praying that God clearly reveal HIS plan for the next chapter in life! As you know, I left the comfy confines of Mother Bell 27 tears ago this month... what a ride its been and I’ve never missed a meal... God is good — all the time... And, lest we forget - Romans 8:28... on a lighter note its a good thing the Trumpster is in office —. Theres lots of work out there — especially for people with intregrity and a work ethic... bring on the next chapter!
ReplyDelete